Mr. Atkinson is highly experienced in commercial litigation. For more information click here
J.D., Georgetown University
MBA in Finance, Carnegie Mellon University
B.S. in Physics, with minors in Math and Economics, Montana State University (4.0 GPA)
District of Columbia Bar (Bar No. 975743)
State Bar of Nevada (Bar No. 9958)
Nevada Real Estate Broker/Salesman (License No. BS.0007645) (on inactive status)
COURTS / JURISDICTIONS:
United States Supreme Court
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. District Court, District of Nevada – Civil Proceedings
U.S. District Court, District of Nevada – Bankruptcy Proceedings
Supreme Court, State of Nevada
District Court, State of Nevada
Judicial Court, Clark County
Superior Court of the District of Columbia
District of Columbia Court of Appeals
Member, American Bar Association
Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
AREAS OF PRACTICE – LAW
- – Participated in over 100 lawsuits, for both plaintiff and defendant business clients.
- – Experienced in representing business clients in many types of civil causes of action, including: breach of contract; misrepresentation/fraud/deceit; civil RICO; declaratory relief; injunctions and TPOs; receiverships; breach of fiduciary duty; tortious interference with contract; civil conspiracy; unjust enrichment; conversion; rescission; constructive trust; misappropriation of trade secrets; trademark infringement; unfair competition; and more.
- – Built a reputation for comprehensive pleadings and thorough discovery requests.
- – Participated in 200+ contract efforts, covering all aspects (drafting, negotiating, workouts, etc.).
- – Provided advisory services to multiple existing or prospective franchisees.
- – Have assisted many dozens of start-up companies with their required filings and paperwork.
- – Experienced in various other aspects of business law, including intellectual property (trademarks, copyrights, patents, trade secrets), the laws of security interests (perfection, UCC-1 filings, etc.), commercial and real estate transactions and financing, and so forth.
Commercial Real Estate
- – Conducted significant transactional contract work, for acquisitions, financing, leases, etc.
- – Lead attorney in many CRE litigation cases, including receiverships, foreclosures, and 1031 exchanges.
- – Knowledgeable regarding commercial mortgage-backed securities, PSAs, indenture trusts, etc.
PRIOR EMPLOYMENT HISTORY – BUSINESS
Principal at A.T. Kearney
- – Provided senior-level client advice to Financial Services, Retail, Communications, and Utilities industry clients on topics including M&A, operations, supply chain, and enterprise restructuring.
- – Evaluated contracts for, and provided litigation support expertise to, major U.S. law firms.
- – Advised major U.S. and international banks on making over $2 billion in funding decisions.
- – Performed large-scale program management of projects (led global teams of up to 50 direct reports)
- – In aggregate, saved clients over $250m in annualized spend via strategic sourcing and outsourcing, over $1 billion/year in employee costs via downsizing, and $500m+ in one-time inventory reductions.
Manager at Deloitte Consulting
- – Developed business plans and market entry strategies for Internet and telecom clients.
- – Built comprehensive discounted-cash-flow financial models, which in aggregate were used by clients for $7 billion worth of funding and investment decisions.
- – Performed complex data modeling and research in high-volume, time-critical environments.
PRIOR EMPLOYMENT HISTORY – SCIENTIST
Physicist at NASA / Los Alamos National Laboratory
- – Used a high-energy laser to identify materials that extend the useful life of space stations.
- – Obtained a Federal Security Q (top secret) clearance.
PUBLICATIONS / SPEECHES
- – Been a featured speaker at over three dozen conferences, workshops, and panels.
- – Authored several business and scientific articles and white papers, e.g., “Growth of Bismuth Films on GaAs(110) Studied Using Low-Energy Electron Diffraction,” Physical Review B, March, 1990.
Macroeconomics, number theory and cryptography, financial markets, computer architecture